**FOR THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE TO LOCAL MEDIA PARTNERS**
On the evening of Wednesday, June 24th the Town of Tyrone experienced what is being called a Microburst Weather Event on the south end of Senoia Road, near the Peachtree City line. During this short, but intense storm a tremendous number of trees were felled, many causing significant damage to homes in the area. Several homes were destroyed, permanently displacing owners and residents. It appears, however, that only minor injuries were suffered by the resident population in the affected area. The response to this terrible event has been outstanding. With aid from The American Red Cross, the men and women of Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services, Town of Tyrone Police Department and Public Works, as well as Coweta-Fayette EMC turned out quickly and worked efficiently to address the needs of the storm victims. These agencies were accompanied by an army of citizen volunteers, which included neighboring residents, local businesses, church groups and other non-profits, worked tirelessly late into the night helping their friends and family find relief in the face of such an unfortunate set of circumstances. The incredible response by these volunteers truly highlights what makes the Town of Tyrone such a special place. The Mayor, Council and Town Administration recognize that this community could not be the happy, healthy and safe place it is without the care and concern for one another that has been on display during these trying times.
Tyrone, Georgia is a residential community of approximately 7,000 residents located in Fayette County, about 25 miles south of Atlanta, Georgia. The land in the area originally belonged to the Creek Indians and was settled by Irish farmers in the late 1800′s. Some of the homes built by those first settlers are still occupied by their descendants.
Tyrone was incorporated on August 18, 1911, and the Town reportedly was named by the people who built the railroad here in 1907. The Scottish and Irish immigrants thought the topography reminded them of the area around County Tyrone in Ireland.